Computers.. Round 3. And finding some treasures..

I'm not winning yet.  My old machine has again been refusing to do a Time Machine Backup.  It's a contrary and temperamental beast, and it seems it is determined to have the last word.  My lounge room also looks like a bomb has hit it, with various bits of paperwork on the floor and I've had a spread of negatives laid out too.  I'm still trying to track down old images, and have the scanner ticking away while I work on other things.  I think it's because I'm trying to do about 4 things at the same time that I don't actually feel like I'm making progress on any one issue.  

We are again trying to do the Time Machine Backup. I've been taught how to properly erase (ie this actually means clicking on the partition thingy) a drive, and we've again asked, very nicely, the old machine to PLEASE back up.  The lovely David will phone back later this afternoon, and see how we are traveling.  In the meantime, after school the kids and I went out to Officeworks.  We bought a very small desk to sit the old computer on, and a chair for it as well.  Then we went across to the Apple Shop.  The Apple Shop is the most seductive of places, filled with seductive and velvety white boxes, and all things Apple.  The kids love to play on the many iPads and are therefore unproblematic, and this is not frowned upon at all.  I came away with a new white keyboard and a thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable, which will help the manual transfer of data from the old new computer to the new new computer.   And on returning home I discovered much to my relief that the old machine had finally, and no doubt grudgingly, agreed to finish the backup. 

Here's a little result from my searching cross legged again on my lounge room floor this afternoon.  It's Bel Esprit winning the 2002 Blue Diamond Stakes.  He is of course the sire of the Famous Pony Black Caviar.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined the events that would follow after photographing this precocious and brilliant 2 year old colt.  At the time all I could think about was the loss of my camera bag by Qantas the day before the race whilst on my first trip away with Heath.  He was only 3 months old, and I was having all sorts of issues.  And my doing this trip wasn't popular.  On my return I booked myself into the Public Infant Health nursing system, and had the most fabulous woman take me by the hand, say she knew exactly what our problem was, and she could fix it.  And she did fix it.  And looking back now, I am glad that I didn't give in to the pressure and stay home.  And I'm glad that Geoff Ampt came to my rescue, loaning me a camera and lens to use for the day, because it means I have the sire of the Famous Pony winning a Group 1 at the Famous Pony's home track.  Was I dogmatic or just determined?  I'll let you be the judge of that.  Just a little bit of trivia.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses