Samaready

At approximately 9.58pm this evening (because who really thinks about the G1 race being run at 10pm???) I remembered the Group 1 Moir Stakes was about to be run at Moonee Valley.  I'd wrestled with how I could possibly get there to cover the race, but had eventually decided it was too difficult.  So it was with the slightest hint of relief that I saw it was raining quite hard in Melbourne just before the field jumped, which didn't make me feel so bad about missing the race.  As the field swung for home though, and my eyes followed that pretty dark brown mare on the outside of the field round the leader Buffering (poor old dear) up and run away from the field, I felt a pang of regret.  The mare is called Samaready.  She's by "My Boy" More Than Ready, and is owned by my friends at Vinery Stud.

I first saw her race, and win, on one of the Blue Diamond Stakes lead up races.  I liked her immediately.  There are things about her that can make me wince from time to time.  She won the 2012 Blue Diamond Stakes and she was just so impressive.  I had a pretty tough day on the track that day, with temperatures of about 42 degrees.  I hate the heat.  It was a truly disgusting day, leaving me feeling physically sick by the end of the day and weekend.  It certainly showed how tough the near black filly was to win in such heat.  I'd finished the day with a swim at Nelly's beach, sitting on the beach in the dark for half an hour after leaving the water.  I thought she'd win the Golden Slipper, and she ran so bravely for 3rd behind Pierro after an unlucky run.  She was then injured as an early spring 3 year old, and she's only just returned to the track, with 2 runs for 2 pretty terrific wins.  

Samaready should run next in the G1 Manikato Stakes on Cox Plate eve.  I'll be in Melbourne for the week leading up to that race, because I'm coming down early for the Black Caviar Statue Reveal on Thursday 24th October and I'm then going to the special lunch being held afterwards.   I'm hoping that Samaready holds her form and wins the Manikato Stakes as well.

Samaready being sold on 5 April 2011 at the Inglis Easter Yearling Sale
 


Samaready.  CF Orr Stakes Day.  11 February 2012.  Blue Diamond Prelude.
Samaready.  25 February 2012.  Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes.






Still 40 degrees at 8pm on 25 February 2012.  I went on my own to Nelly's Beach...  I got lost on the way there, getting my lefts and rights upside down and back to front.  Again....



Samaready went to Sydney and won the G2 Riesling Stakes before running an unlucky 3rd to Pierro in the Golden Slipper




Vinery Stud's Peter Orton
Trainer Mick Price
Samaready's comeback from injury.  Now a 4 year old mare.  31 August 2013.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses