Farewell So You Think


Late last Wednesday my good friend Gary phoned me with the devastating news that So You Think had been sold. I'd taken Jessica to the park all afternoon, and so hadn't heard the news. I say devastating, because personally, it meant that I would probably never again get to photograph this magnificent horse on the track. After all, I'm sure getting to Europe for his races next year will be well and truly beyond my reach. I also felt deeply upset for all at the Cummings stable. I like and respect all at Coolmore, but from a personal point of view, I felt the loss deeply. I'd already begun planning my autumn carnival around the horse, and then of course there was the delirious build up I thought we'd have to a third Cox Plate next spring. Above all, I know how it is to love a horse with all your heart and soul, and I could feel the bitter loss they were feeling at Saintly Place. I have great fondness for Mr Cummings, so this really was a painful day.

So on Friday 5 November 2010, the truck that was to bear the great horse away appeared over the crest of the hill. In an eerie coincidence, just as the last two Bart Cummings trained horses arrived back from their morning trackwork, the truck arrived to spirit away quite probably the best horse to have ever walked through those famous front gates. Then just after 6am, So You Think was led out of Saintly Place for the last time. I can only describe the emotions in the yard as shattered.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses