2010 - The Year That Was

So just what did 2010 bring? I thought I wouldn't write too many words, only through the captions to the images, which really, on a blog like this, should do all the talking.  After initially being surprised by the actions of some, I decided 2010 would be a year of laying some new foundations,  following the separation of ways of some established relationships, and going back to basics this year, and back to doing what I do best, and that is concentrating on the sort of images I do best.   There have been some valued clients that have stuck firm, and others whom I hope are on the way back.  And to concentrate on the horses, and on capturing them in ways I think that I do best of all, and when doing people, to capturing spontaneous emotion. 

Most exciting this year was the selection and subsequent publication of two images I took of Saintly winning the 1996 Melbourne Cup by Australia Post in the Commemorative 150th Melbourne Cup Stamp issue set.  They can be seen here: 150th Melbourne Cup Stamp Issue on the Australia Post Shop's Website.

Gai Waterhouse also released a book, full of extracts from her daily Blog, and an image I took of her at Royal Randwick was selected for the cover.  Again, the image was a result of standing back, using a long lens, and just hoping for the best.  When it's Gai you're talking about, sometimes this is a risky strategy, because a big win from her tends to cause a media scrum, but sometimes you have to ride for luck, and trust that the gamble comes off.  This is the link to the book.


Stamp Set

Stamp Booklet

First Day Cover
Prestige Booklet

Crystal Lily in the Golden Slipper

Hot Danish finally got her Group 1

Nash Rawiller proved the court battle was worth the fight, scoring a narrow win on Rangirangdoo in the Doncaster Handicap.

Flemington has decided that 2010 should be marked by rain!  Lots of it! The abandonment of the Australian Meeting is seen here in progress!  Damn it!  The hire car had hail damage, and just as well I'd paid the extra $14 to have the excess reduced and so was only hit with an additional $110 charge instead over thousands..  While I cursed the $110 and the lost Group 1s I watched from home the next week (that's the problem with having to fly to attend meetings), I was thankful that it wasn't the financial disaster it could have been.  The moral of the story when hiring the car is to ALWAYS pay that little bit extra to reduce the excess!!!!

Tracy won the CF Orr

And the Queen of the Turf

Wanted wins the Newmarket just as the storm was about to break.
My trusty and fabulous assistant, not to mention also a good friend, Angela with Occy.  Thanx for another great year and more great images.  What a team!
Occy and I (did I say that one right mum?  going back to the number of times I got ticked off for saying 'me and nancy' and you'd say 'nancy and i') at Kelvinside.  Seeing Occy was big highlight of our trip, and naturally he was the one we wanted to stand beside.  Angela is definitely the assistant and I am definitely the photographer, as all of the images of her with the great horse were in focus, and out of the 20 odd images she took of me, this was the only sharp one of us!
Denman (front), Lonhro (centre) and Octagonal (rear) at Darley Kelvinside.  Little bit famous this image.

Tuesday Joy with her first baby, a colt by More Than Ready

Samantha Miss' first foal, a filly by More Than Ready

More Joyous' full sister - 4 days old

The black horse, More Than Ready, in all his glory

An USA legend arrives on our shore, and no, I don't mean Oprah!  Big Brown at Vinery

Big Brown

Medaglia d'Oro - Rachel's daddy

Street Cry - Zenyatta's daddy

Berni - I'm in love

Street Cry - I don't want my rug on!!!!!!
Medaglia

Lonny - the champion Lonhro has lost none of his looks

Occy - I love you still!

So You Think
More Joyous

Gai won the Caulfield Cup


So You Think leads around the home turn in the Cox Plate
So You Think won his second Cox Plate

Black Caviar - world's best sprinter.

Yep, we got a soaking on Derby Day.  So You Think wins the MacKinnon

Derby Day - Singing in the Rain

Catching up with some Legends - Apache Cat

Black Caviar supreme

Goodbye So You Think.  A special horse to me.
Americain

So You Think's trademark.  THAT forelock
The Sheikh
Zipping made history

Macedon Lodge

Mr Cummings won another Cox Plate. 

Goodbye Stathi
In Canberra, it has rained and rained in 2010.  Dams are 100% full.  Poor Dan kept getting soaked.  Freelance's waterproof rugs have had a real workout, and largely stood up to the challenge.  See, I really did need to spend all that money on them!
Queanbeyan flooded

Queanbeyan
Merry Christmas from Yours Truly!  Thanx for stopping by to look at pictures, I will see you next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses