Climbing back aboard the Caviar Express

 Saturday 8 October 2011.  Caulfield Racecourse.  The occasion?  The 2011 Caulfield Cup Carnival, and Caulfield Guineas Day.  Or, perhaps a better name for the day should be Black Caviar's Return Day.  There has been a long build up to the Famous Pony's racetrack return.  She hadn't raced since winning the G1 BTC Cup at Doomben Racecourse on 14 May.  The media hype and public interest in her has increased, and must now be described as being at fever pitch.  

Personally, I've been counting down the sleeps, and been restless and impatient as the months and then weeks passed.  And this despite the fact that I've been fortunate enough to have a couple of private sessions with the Pony at both Eagle Farm and Murchison.  Somehow though, when it comes to Black Caviar it is never enough, and the quest for the perfect image continues to hound me.

As I've often said, I love being in Melbourne, and feel like I come back alive when I'm back here.  It is full of family, and friends and there's a relaxed and happy atmosphere here at my sister's house where I always stay.  The kids are with me this week, with school holidays falling beautifully in the ACT over Caulfield Cup week, so they are happy as they just love spending time at their cousins house.  And the calming atmosphere is so good for them right now.

As always, I was nervous before Black Caviar raced.  My heart did it's usual pounding as the field left the barrier.  I was anxious as well, because apart from being desperate for the fairytale that is this truly remarkable racehorse's unbeaten streak continuing, I wanted my other little favourite filly, Karuta Queen to run well, and most importantly, not have her heart broken by the great mare.

Karuta Queen bounced straight to the front, and actually opened up a lead of 3 lengths approaching the home turn.  She's pure speed and grit this little filly, and I love her, but no one wants the magic that has been Black Caviar to end.  And approaching the turn, with Nolen still sitting still on the Famous Pony, Black Caviar strode up to Karuta Queen.  I was standing around the 200m mark, in a little posy with my v good friend Gary Wild.  In an instant Black Caviar bounded clear and thundered past us in all her glory.  It was wonderful, wonderful stuff. 
 
 
 
 
    
Black Caviar puts on a space on "Lilly" (Karuta Queen), who battled on so bravely for 2nd, after really setting the race alive in the early stages.  The little filly was tired, but kept holding for 2nd, and goodness I was proud of her, and in complete awe of the superstar who strode so boldly away from the field in all her glory.
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses