Shame on you.... and keep fighting

Those of you who read this Blog regularly will know that I photograph racehorses.  I live in Canberra, and always have done, and therefore when I travel to Melbourne or Brisbane, there are times when I have to fly.  Typically I would fly to Melbourne on average 5 times per year.  This doesn't make me a really really heavy user of air transport, but it's not inconsequential either.  

And I like to think that the purpose of my travel is important, because what I am about is creating a lasting legacy, and capturing moments in time that will enable so many people in Australia and throughout the world to remember what is was about the thoroughbred, or an individual thoroughbred, that makes us feel so good.

Last night I learnt that Qantas ground all flights.  I was appalled.  I fly Qantas. Without fail.  I rarely even look at other airline companies.  Should I need to fly, I go directly to the Qantas website.  Why do I do this?  Because of the following reasons:

  1. They have lovely staff
  2. I feel safe on their planes
  3. They have fabulous pilots
  4. Because I feel safe that a Qantas pilot will see me safely to my destination
  5. Because I'm a little bit afraid of flying
  6. Because I think a Qantas plane will get me there
  7. Because they accommodate my camera equipment so well
  8. Because they have lovely staff
  9. Because on the one occasion I stuffed up utterly and missed a plane (because of my mistake), when the Virgin people were utterly bloody and said I could book onto a 5pm flight (little use when the 1st race at Caulfield was around midday!) I went down to the Qantas counter.  The man was lovely.  He helped me.  It cost me money, but he bent over backwards to make it as cheap as possible for me.  He was kind.  He didn't patronise me.  He handed me a tissue and said it was ok when I finally burst into tears, because things were awful at home, because I couldn't bear finally to have a day away, and because of the important horses that I was going to miss, and said it was ok, we'd sort it, and not to worry.
  10. Because they have lovely staff.
The staff of Qantas have, I believe, sought between a 3-4% payrise and asked for job security.  One watch of a show such as Aircraft Disaster Investigation will tell you of the things that can go wrong when flying.  Yes.  I am an anxious flyer.  Yes, I have kids that I would like to return home too.  I absolutely do not believe that important jobs like aircraft maintenance should be outsourced.  I don't want foreign call centre.  We fly Qantas because we like Qantas and Qantas is only ever going to be as good as it's staff  
The CEO of Qantas received an enormous payrise.  I'm astounded.  And so utterly disappointed.  All I can say is shame on you Alan Joyce.  You are a nasty person.  A poor CEO, and I don't understand how you sleep at night.  I feel so utterly disappointed at what has happened, and think that I nearly elected to fly for Melbourne Cup week.  I would hate to miss out on one of Black Caviar's races because Qantas management cancelled my flight.  To the Qantas staff, you've always been wonderful, and I thank you for that....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses