Slipper Day and the Ponies

I often wonder exactly what it is about horses that both intrigues, nourishes and calms me.  Is it the softness of their muzzles, or the kindness that lies in their soft brown eyes?  Is it the way that they can rest their head in your arms and fall asleep as you kiss their eyelid before putting their bridle on, in a way that become almost a ritual every time you put that piece of gear on?  Or is it the fact that they rarely let you down (well, not on purpose anyway!), and that they don't make promises in the heat of the moment.

Slipper Day today seemed more than the usual madness.  By the time the Slipper was run and won, I felt like every bone in my body ached.  My wrists and hands aches from holding numerous heavy lenses and cameras, and I was wracked with tiredness.  However there was a sense of joy.  Ok, my filly, Karuta Queen didn't win the Slipper.  I still thought she ran bravely, if perhaps going out too hard in front, but it's been a wonderful story.  If nothing else, on reading various newspaper reports, the little chestnut filly with the flaxen mane and tail brought a family back together.  And maybe that was good enough.  She's done an awful lot this preparation, and I've loved being a part of it.  

There was genuine pleasure, however, in seeing the Darley team take the Slipper with their wonderful colt Sepoy.  And it was lovely to feel like I was part of that team.  They are a warm and welcoming group of people, and this colt was homebred.  I actually photographed him as a weanling, which I discovered after he'd won the Blue Diamond.  It takes a special sort of horse to win both the Blue Diamond and the Golden Slipper.  Perhaps some might argue that Smart Missile's scratching after the barrier mishap clouds the issue as to which is the better colt.  But I believe that Sepoy didn't run to his best in the rain two weeks ago, but he still made Smart Missile work incredibly hard.

Thanx Darley... It was nice to be there with you today!

More Joyous provided the Girl Power.  Goodness she's a wonder.





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses