Seeing the sunrise with Nelly

Last week was lovely.  I spent another lovely morning with my Pony, the very famous and very special Nelly (Black Caviar) on Tuesday.  I arrived early, at 5.05am, however the truck had left early as it was a busy day with trials, etc.  So Dan and I set off swiftly (without speeding, who can afford a speeding ticket...) and arrived shortly after the horses had gone into the water.  It was still dark when I arrived, and so it was a struggle, but gradually the sky began to warm with light, and the horizon began to glow a beautiful golden red as the sun started its ascent.  This time I got in the water with Nelly.  It was warm, and clear, and calm.  Afterwards I gave her the carrots I brought along for her, and we had another little quiet moment together.  And it is these moments in particular that I treasure, as she nuzzles my hand and searches for more carrots.  She's a special and unique horse.






This image of Nelly and stable foreman Vanessa Bartlett was published in The Age on Wed 25 January.


Nelly and stablemate Curtana exchange words.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses