Winning and Losing

The last week has been one full of ups and downs, where I've felt those conflicting emotions of when everything feels great and as it should be, and as things are finally falling in the right place, only to be brought crashing down in an instant.  

On the positive side, the response to the Vale Hot Danish piece has been overwhelmingly, incredibly touching, and one that has restored my faith in the industry.  My own personal reason for being involved is centred completely around this often irrational love of the horses, and this belief that it is the horse that is most important, and therefore the most important subject in front of my lens.  This frequently causes me to forget to concentrate on the people within the industry, and there are times when I am asked whether I took a photograph of "x" person.  I then frequently have to pause and say I'm not sure, because I was probably off playing about with the pony.  I suppose it is all about reaching a balance, but my scales are always tipped firmly towards the horse, and I have to remind myself that there are people there too!  But the reaction I've had from the connections of Hot Danish has also given me cause to say a little silent 'bloody well told you so' to someone, which at least makes me feel better!

On the minus side I'm in that tedious bookwork and filing and burning phase, which always makes me feel restless, bored and frustrated.  I'm being driven by necessity of course here, having not only realised no one will be eating if I don't actually get ON with it, but also now because I've received that shouty letter from the FAO, saying 'get your tax return done or pay us back the family tax benefit'.  See, I told you those window envelopes make you wince!  And for good reason!!  So now there's a tax return to get done as well, which made me groan and have to rest my head on the desk for several seconds.   

It's Mother's Day this Sunday, and my daughter Jessica's 6th Birthday on Friday.  The media passes for the Qld carnival have been approved and should be posted this week.  There's a bit of the usual pacing of the kitchen going on, again making me try to think calmly 'pony, pony, pony'.  The horses usually make all things feel right, and am feeling confident that Saturday week will prove me right about this yet again.

Flying Spur
 
 
Redoute's Choice
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses