Preparations

Regular readers will know where I am headed this weekend.  For those who are not, it is Doomben Racecourse, for the G1 BTC Cup.  Black Caviar awaits.  Although the bulk of the racing activity, for me, is over for the autumn carnival, it is still a busy time.  And this is both on the work and the home front.  The work front consists mainly of an urgent need to process images and get disks done, and out.  And there's a rapidly looming tax deadline looming as well, which isn't quite keeping me awake at night, but I'm sure that's only a matter of time.  

On the home front it's busy.  I've been minding a friend's little boy a couple of afternoons and one morning a week.  He's very quiet, and for the past 12 months or so that I've been picking him up and having him in my care for 2-3 hours per week, has hardly spoken.  But over the past couple of weeks that's changed, which is very nice.  He now smiles shyly, and is beginning to pipe up in the car.  He's had a great time the last couple of afternoons at the horse paddock, playing in the huge sawdust pile, patting and feeding Robert's little miniature horse, and throwing dirt bombs down at the horse's paddock. Dear Freelance now just shakes her head in resigned acceptance now at the antics going on behind her.  My little nephew is very sweet with me.  He holds my hand (actually calls me mumma), and usually wants to come in my car, although last Friday night he actually only stamped his foot saying 'no' to my brother while he stopped at my car, then he rethought it, and then waved me goodbye and went further along to their car.  There is a school camp for Heath next week to plan for, which with his diabetes means extra arrangements.  Stuart will go and give him his insulin injections, and we have to start packing and preparing for this.  There is Jessica's birthday party to organise Sunday week (I ended up deciding that it was stupid holding it on Mother's Day, and after the initial tears about it not being THIS weekend due to me being away for Black Caviar, it is going ahead the week after.  I'm helping with school readers and in the canteen, there's a school disco, and something else I'm sure of it!

But really, my attention is now turning well and truly to the race meeting ahead.  

  • The media passes have been approved, and arrived yesterday.  
  • I've packed my camera bag, goodness me, it is too heavy.  Please Qantas, please don't weigh it!  Might have to reassess that.  
  • I also need to clear space on the hard drives, so that I have enough space for the many GBs of images I am BOUND to take of the gorgeous mare.  
  • I have a hair appointment on Friday, and am hoping desperately that the money promised this Thursday does actually arrive.
  • I guess I should probably think about polishing my long black boots.  They have taken a hiding over the Randwick carnival and are looking a bit sad, despite the fact that they are actually dead nice boots.  I wonder if I have any boot polish....
  • If my money comes in, then I need to buy a new printer at last, which means I will also be able to check in online and print my boarding passes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses